Monday, June 18, 2012

Decorating With Re-Used Cabinet Door Fronts

Sooooo simple and yet adorable!  What if I told you these only cost a $1.16 plus tax to make each one?  I'll be moving into a new house soon and am thinking of a decorating scheme for Alicia's room.  Wall art is expensive...no matter where you look.
That's right $1.16 plus tax!  I made decorative wall plaques to decorate Alicia's new bedroom (when I move) out of cabinet door fronts from my Habitat For Humanity Restore.
Before.........

After.........

They are new cabinet door fronts that are only $1 at the Habitat For Humanity Restore and Scrap booking Paper that I bought at Michaels for .16 cents.  I am a bargain shopper and I love to think out of the box.  The door fronts are made from MDF,  that is what most decorative plaques are constructed from.  When you go to your HOMEGOODS or any big box store that sells decorative wall art take a look and you will see that they are MDF.

Here is how I made them.

I laid my decorative paper over the raised part on the cabinet door front in the position as close to perfect as possible and press with my fingers the outline of the shape and then cut it out.  I also tried to use a straight edge and did not like that method so I just stuck to this method of getting the shape cut out to glue on the cabinet.


It's hard to see but if you look close you will see the fold and that is where I cut.  After you cut the paper to the desired size you are ready to glue it to the cabinet door front with Mod Podge.  Have I told you that I love Mod Podge!




After the paper had dried I then coated it with 2 coats of a water based varnish that you can get at your craft store.....letting each coat dry thoroughly before applying another.  I did not use the Mod Podge on the front.  You most certainly can but I wanted to try the varnish on this project. 


I then drilled a hole in the back of each plaque to apply a ring hanger to the back of each one.





Here are a few more photos of the finished plaques ....I like how they turned out!






Michaels has so many beautiful scrap booking papers.  These are from the open selections that you can buy by the sheet.  I will be doing other items in the room with this color scheme.  I really think the paper is cute and perfect for a growing toddler.


















I am getting so excited about moving and love the aspect of decorating my little granddaughters room for her when she comes to visit.  Have a great evening !

Patty





















2 comments:

  1. Hi, after reading this remarkable post i am as well happy to share my know-how here with friends.


    my webpage :: how to do seo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I understand this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask.

    Does building a well-established website like yours take a massive amount
    work? I am brand new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary on a daily basis.
    I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my personal experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    my webpage ... possible business ideas

    ReplyDelete